CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, July 1, 2011

Hooray for French Toast!


HAPPY JULY!!!



I’m sharing with you all one of my favorite things to eat.  Panettone! It’s a sweet round loaf of bread.  It comes in two flavors: Chocolate Chip and Golden Raisins.  I enjoy both of them but the chocolate it my favorite.  I usually just slice myself a piece and enjoy it with some butter while I sip coffee.  I had an “aha” as Oprah likes to call them the other day.  As I was enjoying my snack I thought it would be great to use for French toast!...Here I was thinking…"oh yeah...great idea…I bet no one’s thought of that..."until I saw this…



Hahaha!...ok, so apparently I’m not the only person this idea has dawned on, because it was printed on the box…anyways.  I didn’t follow the recipe because it was only two people eating and I wasn’t going to be eating six slices of French toast. That would be a crazy food coma! I might follow the recipe one day…for now I’ll just wing it old school. J

Anyways...Supposedly the tale behind this yummy treat goes like this…


A young Italian man named Ughetto Atellani, who was madly in love with a lady named Algisi who owned a bakery. Business was not going so well for the her as there was a competing bakery nearby. Christmas was near, but customers continued to flock the other shop. So Ughetto decided to use the last bit of money he had to buy butter, sugar, eggs and raisins, kneaded them all together with flour and out came the Panettone…translation: “large bread”. It was a hit! Oh, what motivation! The long line in front of the shop was proof that the fate of Algisi changed and, needless to say, the couple married and lived happily ever after!

Whether that is how it really came to be, no one knows…(but it sure is a feel good story!). Panettone has always been for Italians, a symbol of Christmas and the unity it brings when celebrating the birth of Baby Jesus! So, here’s to Christmas in July! Enjoy!  :)





 

1 comment: