CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Salted Caramel Cupcakes, Oh My!

Foodie Fix: Salty.Sweet.Cupcakes.

When I first heard of these.  I was like ''what?" salty and sweet in a cupcake sounds crazy.  Usually we hear that about some crazy good entree like honey garlic chicken (Yum-O!); but in a dessert? Never.  So naturally, I had to give these babies a try and let me tell you.  I'm a believer! These are sooo GOOD!



Ingredients you'll need:

One box chocolate cake mix
Eggs
Oil
Salt
Heath Candy Bars
Caramel Ice Cream Topping
Vanilla Bean Butter Cream Frosting (Recipe Below)
Squeeze Bottle




Bake your cupcakes according to the directions on the box. Easy peasy :)
If you're feeling extra homemakerish (yeah I made that up..lol)You can make your own caramel or you can go the shorter route and just salt up some store bought caramel like me.  I won't tell. I promise, so no worries ;) 


For every eight ounces of caramel add 1/2 a teaspoon of salt.  Warm in the microwave for one minute.  Stir when done.  Pour the now warm salted caramel into a squeeze bottle.  As soon as the cupcakes come out of the oven; inject caramel into each one. (Just ignore the hot mess that is my nail polish)









While the cupcakes are cooling it's time to smash the Heath bars.  It's really easy if you use a meat mallet, a pan or maybe even a shoe...j/k on that last one.  Don't unwrap them before you break them up...you will end up with a hot mess if you do. Then when they are all good and smashed, unwrap and place the pieces into a bowl.  Remember to take out any of the big unbroken pieces.  You can eat them...or not. 
Now wer're ready to frost. I've come to the conclusion that once you make you're own frosting you can become a total frosting snob.  It's really really easy and taste much better, it's worth it.  But you can use the store bought stuff...if you insist :)

Butter Cream Frosting Recipe by Gale Gand:
1 cup Unsalted Butter at Room Temp.
3 Cups of Powdered Sugar (AKA: Confectioners Sugar)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract (Use the Real stuff.  No ''imitaion'' nonsense.  It's worth it!)
1 to 2 Tbls Heavy whipping cream or milk
Pinch of Salt

Blend together sugar and butter. Mix on low speed until well blended and then increase speed to medium and beat for another 3 minutes.
Add vanilla and cream or milk and continue to beat on medium speed for 1 minute more, adding more cream or milk if needed for spreading consistency.



After your cuppy cakes have cooled off, frost them with the butter cream goodness, roll them in the Heath bar pieces, and then drizzle the salted caramel on top.  Don't these babies look amazing?!















So, like most of the time that I bake I like to bake for an occasion and this time is no exception. I made these for a friend of mine for her birthday I know she loves chocolate and caramel and cupcakes, so these are just perfect for her! And she shall remain nameless as she hasn't seen them yet!...lol. Isn't this the cutest packaging? I love it! I hope she does too!

HAPPY BAKING!!

Here's where I got my inspiration for these lovlies. Thanks a bunch Joy's Hope! :)

******************************************************************************

**Update: Ms. Mryl cakes loved them!...Smile :D

No comments:

Post a Comment