CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, October 15, 2010

Coconut Rum cake

I made this cake for my parents 15 year anniversary.  This is super easy peasy! I usually make regular rum cake but I've been into everything coconut lately...not really sure why...strange...lol. Anyhow, the idea for this cake came from the coconut juice in the red can (see the picture).  My mom and I love to drink it.  It is super yummy.  One day while I was drinking it; I got an idea.  I thought: what if I make a coconut flavored cake and then make a rum glaze with coconut water instead of plain water! I thought it was a pretty nifty idea.  I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one who's done that but I think it turned out awesome ;0) I hope you give it a try! God bless!

Cake Ingredients
One Box of Coconut cake mix
Ingredients needed to bake cake
(See back of box)
Coconut flakes (Optional)

Glaze Ingredients
1 Cup of Sugar
Two cans of Coconut Juice (about 8oz each)
1/4 Cup of Rum


1) Bake the cake according to the directions on the back of the box.  You can bake it in whatever shape pan you'd like.  When making rum cake I like to use a bunt pan, just because I think it looks pretty.  Once you've mixed up all your cake ingredients and have popped it in the oven to bake; it's time to make the glaze. 


This is what your juice looks
like before it reduces down
 2) The glaze is very simple to make.  But you must be very careful while making it because sugar burns are very painful.  So the ration I use is 2:1.  For every two cups of water I use one cup of sugar.  The amounts on the ingredient list for the glaze are enough to make one batch of glaze.  It can be doubled very easily, as long as you remember to use the 2:1 ratio. 



It should look like this when
it's reduced by half, and 
the juice is more like the
consistency of syrup

3) To make the glaze just pop open the juice cans and pour into a deep quart size pan. (recycle the cans!) Then pour in your sugar and stir until it's dissolved.  It's very important for you to dissolve it so you don't end up with a grainy glaze.  Once it's nice and dissolved put the pan on the stove and bring it to a boil.  Watch it the whole time! Sugar heats up very quickly and burns extremely easily! As soon as it comes to a boil reduce the heat to medium low.  Let it simmer and do it's thang and reduce by half.  Once you knock back the heat you don't have to watch the pot the whole time but don't forget it! It can take up to twenty minutes for the mixture to reduce by half, sometimes less.  Just keep half an eye on it.  Once your mixture has reduced by half.  Turn off the heat and move the pot away from your stove onto a trivet or kitchen towel.  Carefully pour in the quarter cup of rum.  It will make a funny sound as the cool  rum makes contact with the hot glaze.  Don't get scared.  This sound is completely normal. :)

4) Once your cake comes out of the oven let it cool in the pan for a few minutes until it's cool enough to handle.  Once the cake has cooled; flip it over on to a plate or cake dish (whatever you're going to serve it from).  Now you need to poke the cake with a toothpick to make little holes for the glaze to saturate the cake.  Be gentle with it.  You should always treat cake like a lady ;)   Once you get your cake nice and holey; spoon the glaze over the cake until all the glaze has covered the cake. You can then use the coconut flakes to decorate the cake however you'd like. :) 


5) Now you can dig in and enjoy this baby warm or at room temperature; whichever you would prefer.  
Happy Baking! :D




YUM! YUM! YUM!


2 comments: